Summer’s coming up! Woohoo! Time to get out those tents and bathing suits and clean out that barbecue. Perhaps you’re also getting your kids enrolled in summer camps and planning for some much needed family vacations.
Of course, what your kids are probably most excited about is not having to go to school for the next 10-11 weeks.
We get it. Waking up early, scrambling out the door to catch the bus or beat traffic, and stressing over hours of homework is a royal pain. Kids (and parents) need a break from all that.
However, a break from school does not have to mean a break from learning.
In a previous blog, we talked about the summer slide, or the loss of learning that takes place over the summer while kids are not in school. Research has found that the summer slide can cause the average student to lose up to one month of classroom instruction, putting them at a disadvantage throughout their academic career. This is why your kids must keep up their learning during the summer.
No, this does not mean you have to enroll your kids in summer school. There is a way for you to keep all of your summer plans in place and for your kids to keep up their learning from anywhere in the world for no more than 2 hours a day. That way is Konversai.
Konversai is the world’s newest global knowledge learning and sharing platform that enables one-on-one live video conversations between anyone, anywhere, about anything. Konversai is accessible to everyone everywhere in the world—all you need is a device and an Internet connection. The premise behind Konversai is that everyone, no matter who they are or where they come from, has valuable knowledge, experiences, and skills that can benefit someone somewhere else in the world. Geography, time, and money should not be barriers to accessing these valuable knowledge, experiences, and skills. On Konversai, you can access a database of hundreds of knowledge providers offering sessions on a myriad of subjects—the only limit is your imagination. We recommend that you try different providers and determine the best fit for your kids’ needs and interests. Konversai offers a way for your kids to keep up with their learning and even get ahead of the game over the summer, all on their own time and without having to sacrifice any other summer plans.
All users are encouraged to be both knowledge providers and knowledge seekers on Konversai on any and as many topics as they wish. This means that in addition to taking sessions this summer, your kids can also provide sessions! Any and all knowledge has a place on Konversai. You don’t have to be an expert. The knowledge, skills, and experiences you have are enough and could be exactly what someone else might be looking for. If there’s a subject or skill that your child is passionate about and feels comfortable teaching to others, they should absolutely do so on Konversai. Teaching others is one of the best ways to reinforce your own learning. Plus, your kids can charge as much as they want for offering sessions. Not only does that benefit them, but also you, as you get a break from having to pay their allowance! ☺ In all seriousness, though, being a provider on Konversai is a fantastic way for your kids to build their confidence. It also gives them something additional to include on their resume.
So, what can a Konversai summer look like? Below we outline a sample summer plan. You and your kids can modify this as you see fit.
Don’t make any plans this week. Give your kids a chance to unwind and relax doing whatever makes them happy. They deserve it after having finished off the school year.
Now’s the time to “hit the books,” so to speak. But don’t worry—Konversai makes learning fun! Plus, the one-on-one live video interaction ensures that your kids’ learning is personalized to their needs and interests.
30 minutes of reading: It doesn’t matter what your kids are reading, just as long as they’re reading. For upper-elementary-school-aged kids, check out our recommendations curated by Konversai’s youngest member, Leela Kapoor, who is 10 years old. Share your favorite summer reads with us in the comments below, or better yet, talk about them on Konversai. On Konversai, you can chat with others about what you’re reading and even connect with authors, editors, and publishers.
- 30 minutes of math: Math is one of the biggest causes for concern when it comes to the summer slide. Whereas the summer slide in literacy achievement disproportionately affects students from lower socioeconomic backgrounds, the summer slide in math achievement affects all students equally, regardless of socioeconomic background. Whether it’s elementary school math, algebra, geometry, trigonometry, calculus, statistics, or any other math topic, there’s a provider on Konversai who can help. Your child can also teach any of these subjects to other students. Another tool that you can check out is PiCirql, which breaks down complex math concepts into easy-to-understand, byte-sized modules using visuals.
- 30 minutes of foreign language: It’s never too early to start learning a new language. If your child isn’t already learning a foreign language in school, now’s a good as time as any to start, and Konversai is the perfect place to do it. On Konversai, your child can connect with a fluent speaker and learn everything from the basic to the advanced. If they are already learning a language in school, they can keep at it and get even better by practicing over the summer. If you don’t use it, you lose it, the saying goes. Here again, your child can also tutor other students in a foreign language if they wish.
30 minutes of physical activity: Children and adolescents need between 30 minutes and an hour of physical activity a day. Again, it doesn’t matter what kind of physical activity. They just need to get their bodies moving. Thirty minutes to an hour of exercise a day is associated with better physical and mental health outcomes, and even better academic outcomes. On Konversai, your child can connect with providers who can teach them a whole range of physical activities, including sports, yoga, stretching, and dancing. Depending on your child’s interests, it can be a good idea to alternate the types of physical activity they practice each day.
Take Fridays off. Have fun, play board games, hang out with friends, run around and play, and just chill. Taking a day for yourself each week always does you good.
Saturday and Sunday
Use the weekends to get creative and learn a new skillset. In just 10 weeks, your child can become a maven at a new skill, or just explore new topics and discover what interests them. Among the many categories they can choose from are:
Photography: Most kids these days have smartphones, Instagram accounts, and Snapchat accounts. Photography allows us to capture the beauty around us and share it with others. On Konversai, your kids can learn about anything from the best types of cameras to use to how to capture images in the day and night.
- Art: There are so many different forms of art, including drawing, painting, collage, mosaics, and graphic design. There are also providers on Konversai offering sessions on art history. Give your kids a chance to get in touch with your creative side with Konversai.
- Coding: Coding is such an important skill in today’s workforce. Having a knowledge of coding helps build students’ confidence and gives them in edge when they’re applying for jobs. It also allows you to do cool things like designing apps and websites. In addition to Konversai, you can also check out Pythonroom. Its user-friendly features make it easy to learn and teach the Python language.
- Cooking: Get your hands dirty and learn some tasty new dishes ranging a variety of cuisines. On Konversai, you can learn Indian, French, Mexican, Middle Eastern, and Asian fusion cooking; baking; gluten-free, vegan, and vegetarian recipes; cake decorating; knife skills; and various other culinary techniques.
Music: Whether you’re looking to learn music theory, composition, history, or are hoping to learn a new instrument, you can find it on Konversai. Learn about famous classical composers, how to write hip hop lyrics, breathing techniques for effective singing, or how to play the piano. In just a few weeks you’ll be amazed at your progress.
- Entrepreneurship: On Konversai you can connect with startup founders, investors, and industry leaders and learn about what it takes to succeed in business. If you’ve got an innovative idea or have an entrepreneurial drive in you, you have access to an eclectic set of mentors who can help fuel that drive.
Konversai is empowering the next generation by democratizing knowledge, putting the human connection back into the heart of technology, and facilitating meaningful connections and conversations that can help steer your kids’ future and set them up to achieve their dreams. Don’t waste another second. Get on Konversai today—you won’t regret it.
Have an awesome summer, and see you on the Konversai platform!
Downloadable pdf’s for June, July and August here: